Published in the February 14th, 2026 Mitchell Republic
In early 1980, Marvin Schwan of Schwan's Sales, a large frozen food manufacturer, negotiated the purchase of a small computer media manufacturing company in Orchard Park, New York. His next step was to remodel the abandoned Herter's Sporting Goods building in Mitchell to accommodate his new business. To help with the startup, he also hired the 12 employees from the original Orchard Park location.
Syncom started modestly, manufacturing several types of computer media, including magnetic tape and 3½-inch, 5¼-inch, and 8-inch floppy diskettes. Marvin Schwan's timing was perfect for the rapidly expanding computer market, and the company grew quickly during its first few years. Filled with optimism, Syncom even published an announcement in the Daily Republic proclaiming that the company was there to stay for the next 100 years.
By 1990, plant manager Mike Emmerick said wages had to be increased for the company's 313 employees in order to remain competitive in Mitchell's tight labor market. During Syncom's 15 years of operation, several employees were recognized as Employee of the Month for their dedication. They included Tami Haiar, Sherry Breitkreutz, Gary Fuerst, Jeri Emerson, Jeanette Lemke, Ron Kelly, and Barb Walz.
By 1994, increasing foreign competition forced a number of layoffs, and Syncom cut another 20 jobs from its already shrinking workforce of 120 employees. In 1995, the company announced it was negotiating a sale to an undisclosed buyer.
In January 1995, Syncom was sold to ProDisk of Stillwater, Minnesota. By July, ProDisk had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Manager Joe Tripoli was quoted as saying that the filing would not close Syncom's doors. However, in November 1995, the remaining 120 workers were laid off indefinitely while the bankruptcy court considered the case. Unfortunately, in December, the court converted the Chapter 11 reorganization into a Chapter 7 liquidation after trustees reported debts totaling $6.8 million.
In January 1996, Syncom officially ceased operations, closing the plant and leaving 120 people without jobs. A public auction was held in May to sell the remaining equipment. Then, in November 1996, Marvin Schwan purchased the building back as the auction's only bidder.
Published in the July 18th, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
Sources:
Mitchell Republic
Argus Leader
Charlie’s Shoe Repair a lost business and art.
Charlie Bailey started working at Mitchell Shoe Shop in 1960 by shining shoes and cleaning up. His work at the repair shop gave him the confidence and skill to be on his own he purchased the business from Lyle “Heine” Fuerst in 1975 with help from his father’s friend.
For a year and a half, Bailey operated at 113 North Main Street in 1977 he moved across the street to 118 North Main Street. He averaged five to ten sole and heel repairs on boots and shoes for many years and expanded to zippers, coats, purses and various other leather repair jobs. Over the years he has had some helpers to keep the service to his standards but has maintained the shoe and boot repair for which he took much pride.
In 2019 Charlie sold the business to Don Curtis and his wife Valerie. Charlie still spent some mornings and afternoons with Don showing him the rope and imparting the knowledge of repairs thousands of boots and shoes over 40 years.
Unfortunately, in September of 2024 Don passed away terminating the long-standing shoe repair operation in Mitchell. Then in January of 2025 we also lost Charlie Bailey and his many years of boot and shoe repair knowledge.
Published in the February 21st, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
Researcher Mel Pooley.
Back In Time 2026
My Weekly Reader was a weekly classroom publication that was published from 1928 until 2012. Its initial edition was created specifically for fourth-grade students. Over the years, it expanded to include grade-specific editions ranging from pre-kindergarten through middle school. Additional publications were also developed that focused on reading, math, geography, and science.
Each issue was typically four to eight pages long and was printed in a mini-newspaper format. It contained simplified current events, headlines, and photographs designed for young readers. Issues also included word games, puzzles, and quizzes to test comprehension and reinforce learning.
News Parade was a specialized version aimed at upper-grade classrooms. Published primarily for middle-grade students, such as those in fourth through sixth grades, by the American Education Press, it delivered current events, political updates, scientific breakthroughs, and feature stories in an accessible, student-friendly newspaper format.
Some school districts also offered students copies of a summer edition of My Weekly Reader that was mailed directly to their homes.
During the 1960s and 1970s, the publication reached its peak circulation of approximately 13 million copies. This period marked the height of its popularity and influence in classrooms across the nation. As technology advanced, school budgets tightened, and digital media became increasingly common, readership declined. The printed version ultimately ceased publication in 2012.
Sources:
Mitchell Area Historical Society archives
Mitchell School District
Published in the July11th, 2026 Mitchell Republic
This building is the former Myers Body Shop on the Southeast Corner of 10th and Main.
Educator Supply and Post Office
Researcher Pam Range
The building on the right is the Post Office that was built in 1909 and used until 1962 when the current Post Office was built. The building on the left is the Educator Supply building located at 311 North Lawler. Educator supply was founded in 1894 by Harry Bras under a corporation. The business dealing in school supplies was purchased by L.A. Pope and F.L. Ransom in 1908. Educator supplies operations extended throughout the territory of South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana and Wyoming. They were wholesalers in school and office supplies along with doing printing and publishing. The business was purchased in 1979 by McLeod’s printing and moved out of this building.
Published in the January 10th, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
H&M Auto Parts was formed by Ben Hanson and Ray Montgomery about 1946 at 212 West First Avenue in Mitchell. The building was purchased from Norwick Motors which moved one block east. They repaired many automotive items such as carburetors, fuel and water pumps, generators and many other automotive parts.
Ben using his training from the US Air Force Air service command and years of experience was a real asset to the automotive repair business for many years.
Ben was very active in the Boy Scouts of America and received his 25-year anniversary award for his service to the Boy Scouts from the American National Headquarters.
Ray in addition to his duties at H&M Auto Parts worked at Broadbent-Milliken Funeral Home from 1958-1974, he then worked at Will Funeral Chapel until his retirement.
H&M Auto Parts is truly a service that has disappeared, in that they could and would fix most any automotive device of the time even for young people who had little or no ability to pay for the service.
Sources:
Mitchell Republic
Karen Hanson Dejong
Mitchell Area Historical Society archives
Published in the May 9th, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
Larson Distributing Company was started in 1924 by O. S. Larson in response to a hog cholera outbreak and was initially called Denver Serum Company. Mr. Larson and a small crew ran the company until 1950 when he died and his son Howard took over. In 1975 they open a second location in Sturgis called Western Range Outfitters.
Their primary products were veterinarian equipment and animal health and poultry medicines, most all medicines to keep farm animals healthy.
The company moved several times in their history from 110 East First Ave to 122 South Main and finally to West Hiway 16. Records show they had a grand opening at their new West 16 location in 1969. Howard’s sons Jim and Randy joined the business about 1982.
Howard retired in 1993 and the business was sold to Lextron Animal Health.
Published in the March 7th, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
Mel Pooley Researcher.
Scallin Drug Company
Scallin Drug Company, which was a Rexall Drug affiliate located at 218 North Main Street was founded in 1887 by Stephen H. Scallin.
William Scallin joined his brother in business in October of 1888. Sometime later he completed his course in the College of Pharmacy of New York City. He was registered in 1892 and resumed his position in his brother’s store, where he continued to work until 1901, when he was admitted as a partner and the firm name of Scallin Brother’s Drug was born.
William’s son Fred became the manager of a new location on South Sanborn called South Side Drug in 1932, but closed in 1936. Stephen Scallin closed the business in 1967 and sold all the prescriptions and medications to White Drug, thus ending an era for the Scallin Brothers Drug Company.
Sources:
Mitchell Republic
Mitchell Area Historical Society archives
“The History of Mitchell Drug Stores” by Garvin Bertsch
Published in the April 25, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
Frederic E. Moses
A Mitchell Pioneer
Frederic E. Moses had a Mitchell connection through his aunt, Thelma Cassem Cropp.
Born in Wisconsin in 1859, Moses later moved with his father to Illinois. In 1877, he followed Frank Weller’s father — the father of Charles and Dorothy Weller — to work in the Weller lumber yard in Lost Nation Iowa. Moses eventually purchased a share of the lumber yard, but before long he heard the call of the prairie and the opportunities developing in the Dakota Territory.
In 1879, he sold his interest in the Iowa lumber yard and began searching for a location in the new territory where he could establish his own lumber business. He arrived in Mitchell in 1880 with hopes of making his fortune and helping build a new community on the prairie. Mitchell had been heavily advertised as a growing town, which influenced his decision to settle there.
Upon arriving, Moses discovered that residents of the small community of Firesteel near the James River were in the process of relocating their entire town to Mitchell.
After looking over the community, he purchased property at the corner of First and Lawler Streets for his new lumber yard. At that time, the railroad had not yet reached Mitchell, so he waited until the line extended to Alexandria before ordering his first shipment of lumber.
The winter of 1881 proved extremely severe and prevented nearly all train travel. The railroad reportedly had a stockpile of 150,000 railroad ties, which were sold for fuel at 35 cents each because coal and many other commodities were unavailable.
In 1886, Moses also tried farming, but drought conditions forced him to seek other opportunities. He accepted a position as assistant cashier at First National Bank. A forward-thinking businessman, he later entered the implement business with partners, forming Barnard-Giles-Moses Implement at 111 East Railroad Street. From 1915 to 1917, he was also involved in the Moses-Wilder Grocery located at 701 South Sanborn.
After a long and busy life, Frederic E. Moses died in Sacramento California at the age of 90.
Sources
Mitchell Republic
Mitchell Area Historical Society archives
Published in the May 16th, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
Berg Appliance and television founded in 1946 by Per Berg selling a vast assortment of small and large appliances. The initial location was 115 East Third Avenue next to the old Bell Telephone office.
In 1956 after their ever expanding business and new product categories they moved to a new larger location at 123 West First Avenue which gave them more room for display, service, and parking. This is the location in the photo.
In 1975 they moved just across the street to 112 West First Avenue and added an electronic service company to their list of services.
At the time of this move there was a growing interest in color television, automatic washers, and dryers. Before this time most home appliances were white, but trends were changing and about 75% of the appliances sold were colors like Avocado Green, and Harvest Gold.
After 40 years in business Per retired and closed the business in 1986.
Sources:
Mitchell Republic
Mitchell Area Historical Archives
Published in the April 11th, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
First record we have of the Olympia Theater was 1908 at which time it was located at 113 West Second Avenue, and the manager was C. D. Adams.
The next manager was M. R. Tournier in 1909, and he enlarged the theater to seat 400 patrons. The same year he enlarged the screen, so it was 2 feet wider and taller. Also, in 1909 M.R. Tournier installed another stove to keep the patrons warmer in the South Dakota winters.
In 1910 the management announced some very new exciting entertainment coming to the theater with the introduction of vaudeville acts.
With the increase in technology in 1911 Tournier installed a new projector system that could show films with “no flicker”.
M. R. Tournier sold the theater to Ben Fidler in 1911, who became the new owner. M. R. Tournier went into the motion picture business for himself in the north half of the Champney building at 300 North Main Street and called it the Maynard Theater which he named after his young son.
By 1912 Olympia had another new manager, L. D. Milne, and the building was owned by C. E. Vermilyea.
Last record we have is in 1914 when the building was sold to W H. Webster at which time no further plans were made for the building.
Sources:
Mitchell Republic
Mitchell Area Historical Society archives
Published in the May 2nd, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
Butterfields Dry Goods, Carpets and Notions, located at 205 North Main Street, first appears in our records in 1902. The business was operated by Horace D. Butterfield and occupied the location that is today home to Geyerman's.
By 1907, Butterfields had expanded beyond dry goods and carpets to offer ladies’ apparel, including fall and winter suits, cloaks, and rich, warm fur-lined coats.
An advertisement in 1916 featured new selections of high-grade silk suits, skirts, plaid wool skirts, and handsome striped suitings for summer wear. These styles included Pekin stripes, medium stripes, and wide stripes in pongee, mohair, and Oxford suitings.
A 1918 advertisement promoted new ladies’ blouses priced from $5.50 to $12.50, along with silk dresses starting at $18.00. These dresses were described as being of unusual quality and made from satin, crepe de chine, crepe meteor, and satin charmeuse. Also featured was the “Kozy Wrap,” advertised as the only garment that grows with the baby—first a wrap and then a coat.
In the fall of 1918, Butterfields introduced another offering for customers preparing for the Thanksgiving season. Fine linen tablecloths and napkin sets began at $6.50, including Derryvale Genuine Linen tablecloths measuring 70 by 70 inches with matching napkins.
All of this was offered through what Butterfields proudly called “The Store of Good Value.”
The business operated at this location from at least 1902 through 1922, after which it no longer appeared in our local archives.
Sources:
Mitchell Gazette
Mitchell High School Crocus
Mitchell Area Historical Society Archives
Published in the June 13th, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
Fred A. Wells Shoe Store
Fred A. Wells announced the opening of his new shoe store on August 19, 1911, at 104 North Main Street, just three doors north of the Widmann Hotel. The store boasted what was described as the “classiest” stock of shoes in Mitchell. The building at 104 North Main Street has housed numerous businesses over the years and is now home to Dykstra Wood Works.
One of the store’s earliest advertisements encouraged parents to “start your boys off to school” with a pair of “Village” shoes available in gun metal, button, blucher, tan, or patent styles. By 1913, another back-to-school advertisement promoted the store’s employees as the best shoe fitters in Mitchell.
As fashions changed, the store regularly featured the latest footwear. For the Fourth of July in 1916, an advertisement highlighted ladies’ “Reignshin” eight-inch lace-up boots. Women's shoes appeared to be the store’s most frequently advertised merchandise. In 1918, F. A. Wells Shoe Store offered ladies’ high-top shoes for fall and winter at $9.00 a pair.
An exception to the emphasis on women’s footwear came in 1919 when the store advertised comfortable men’s oxfords priced from $5.00 to $8.45. In September 1920, customers were invited to view the season’s “nobbiest” footwear featuring slender vamps and either Cuban or Louis heels, promoted as ideal styles for the coming winter season.
The last known mention of the F. A. Wells Shoe Store appeared in 1922. By 1923, the business was no longer listed in local directories, suggesting that the store had closed sometime during that year.
Sources:
Mitchell High School Crocus
Mitchell Republic
Published in the June 6th, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
United Methodist Church circa 1950s
Researcher Pam Range
The United Methodist Church was first organized as the First Methodist Episcopal Church in 1881. The first meeting place was a small room over a saloon on Main Street. Later they obtained a room in the old west side schoolhouse. In 1883 a new church was dedicated at the corner of 4th and Edmunds Street. By 1906 the congregation had outgrown it, and a new church was necessary. The church they now occupy at the corner of 3rd Avenue and Rowley Street was built and dedicated by 1908.
Published in the January 24th, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
Milltown was established in 1879, and the Island Park Ballroom pavilion was built in 1921. Unfortunately, shortly after its construction, the ballroom was struck by lightning and burned. Not being quitters, the community rebuilt the pavilion in 1923.
During the 1940s, many dances were advertised as lasting from midnight until dawn for dancers with plenty of stamina. In the 1950s and 1960s, Island Park hosted entertainers such as Gene Pitney, Conway Twitty, Jerry Lee Lewis, and many others who were destined to become popular stars. In 1984, a devastating flood of the James River caused tremendous damage to both Milltown and Island Park.
By 2012, Island Park had applied for 501(c)(3) nonprofit status to increase donations to the association, helping keep it solvent and continue providing quality South Dakota entertainment. In addition, Island Park was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in recognition of its contributions to the entertainment industry over the years.
People came from miles around to enjoy the bands, picnics, political meetings, fundraisers, roller skating, baseball games, and excellent fishing along the James River. One fundraiser in 2013 helped purchase new playground equipment. In 2015, a very large car show was held with more than 100 vehicles on display. Not to be outdone, an even larger car show was held in 2017, with proceeds benefiting renovations at Island Park.
Published in the June 20th, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
Sources:
Mitchell Republic
Yankton Press and Dakotan
Parkston Historical Society
Mitchell Area Historical Society archives
The history of the O. E. Cassem Building at 122 S. Main St.
*1881: Wood frame building then a saloon
*1884-1901: Then shown as cigar factory and saloon
*1913: Current building constructed by O. E. Cassem
*1912: Resident became Bishop Café
*1913: Shows that Bishop Café was still on first floor and rooms for rent on second floor.
*1931: First floor shows to be a auto painting service and printing company on second floor.
*1940: New resident became YMCA *1948: The Schlitz Company was here but find no reference as to what they did.
*1952: Larson Distributing moved in then known as Denver Serum Company.
*1956: New resident and owner became Aero-Dyna-Kleen
*1976: Newest resident Wholesale Electronics Inc.
*1986: Flack Advertising
*1989: Krohmer Plumbing became the new resident.
*1997-current is Marilyn's Designer Den.
Published in the March14th Mitchell Rebuplic
Researcher Mel Pooley.
Originally Camp Mitchell & Lau’s Service Station later the Mitchell Campground was located at 1600 West Havens on the Corner of Havens and Ohlman (where Cubby’s Convenience Store is now). This photo was taken in late 1930s about the time the business opened. Henry Lau opened the campground, which had cabins to rent, in the 1930s. There was also a service station and café. Henry’s son Harold joined the business about 1940. Harold and his brother were killed in a plane crash in 1946. The campground burned down a couple years after his death. Photo submitted by Roger Allen.
Published in the February 28th, 2026 Mitchell Republic
Mel Pooley Researcher.
Frank E. was born and raised on a farm about 16 miles southwest of Mitchell. He attended grammar school and after graduation he took a 2-year commercial course at DWU. Franks father Albert E. was in the farming business and in 1905 he sold the farm and acquired a feed and coal business in Mitchell. At that time, he joined his father in the business and two or three years later he bought out his father and Albert moved to California.
One of the first promotions we found recorded was in 1909 and he offered coal, wood, grain and feed. His location was shown as Railroad Street west of the Creamery. Next promotion of his business was shown in 1919, and he had the largest grain business near the Chicago, Milwaukee, Saint Paul railroad. As the business continued to grow the bulk of the advertising we find is for coal and a 1923 advertisement shows “no long wait for coal”. In 1929 a new product was advertised “clean coal” which they called petroleum coke, that yield a lot of heat and no ash, smoke or soot.
On a personal note, in 1931 he was elected as National Councilor of National Retail Merchants Association. He also served on the Mitchell City Council, member of the Masonic Fraternity and member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
In 1932 he offered a new South Dakota product called Firesteel Lump Coal that could be delivered at $6.00 per ton. This vein was discovered on W. C. Rudolf’s property 9 miles northeast of Mitchell. His advertising at this time featured the store with the “checkerboard front”. By 1935 another new product was offered called “Saraha Coal” that burned hot as the desert.
The last mention we found of his business was in 1950 when he featured a top-notch chick mash at $4.00 per 100-pound bag.
Sources:
Mitchell Republic
Mitchell Area Historical Society archives.
Published in the May 23rd, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
First record of installation of parking meters in downtown Mitchell was in 1946. The city announced that the first three weeks of the meters being installed will be an educational period for everyone to become accustomed to their use. After about one year of them being installed the local banks reported a boost in demand for pennies. Another ruling from the city council stated that the new meter posts are only for the support of parking meters and not for hitching posts for animals.
In 1949 new unbreakable meters were ordered that will be self-winding when coins are inserted. Rates with the new meters are 1¢ for 12 minutes, 2¢ for 24 minutes and 5¢ for one hour.
In 1951 total revenue less expenses for the meters were $22,000.00. Also, this year the voters will determine if more parking lots will be purchased or if it will be placed in the parking meter fund for maintenance and replacement. A petition was circulated in 1951 to have parking meters replaced but thrown out due to several irregularities in the petition. 20 additional meters were purchased in 1952 to add more to the side streets.
Due to public demand, in 1958 selected meters were changed to allow 9-hour parking for 25¢ for people needing more time for their business visit.
A 1966 study showed that the meters took more time to maintain and collect the money from them each week than anticipated. Also, in 1966 a limited street survey also showed that most Mitchell residents did not like parking meters and a predominant amount of out of town visitors did like them as it opened up more parking when they came to Mitchell for shopping and business.
In 1970 some 2 headed parking meters were installed on a trial basis to allow more maneuverability for each vehicle, awaiting citizens’ comments.
In 1977 an audit of parking meter revenue revealed that gross revenue from 630 meters was about $9,000.00 and repair and salaries were $15,200.00 which left the city with a $6,200.00 loss. In 1978 a resolution by the Mitchell Area Chamber of Commerce was presented to the City of Mitchell which appears was accepted and acted on by the City Council and the meters were removed.
Sources:
Mitchell Republic; Mitchell Area Historical Society archives
Published in the July 4th, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
Published in the February 7th, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
Current building built by Letcher for Jesse Logan 1920
1926: Larrison Drug store, photo store on second floor
1946: Martin Osterhaus
1950: Den Beste Drug
1955: Fashion City
1965: Political headquarters
1966: Stevenson's Clothing Store
1971: Sold to Pizza Pub
1973: Re-possessed
1974: Political headquarters
1974: Reven Industries
1975: Political headquarters
1975: Ed's Pet World
1981: Vacant
1996: Cottonwood Canyon Coffee
2002: Dakota Sue
2019: Crane Realty…....
Sources:
Mitchell Republic
Mitchell Area Historical Society Archives
Jeff Logan
History of 200 N. Main building and apartment.
According to the original party wall agreement, the building was built in 1887. George Logan acquired the building in 1900 as part settlement when he sold out his interest in the Security Bank of Mitchell. In 1916, shortly after building the Branson Bank building directly to the east, he tore down and rebuilt the second floor of the building for new offices. He had the famous Minneapolis architectural firm of Purcell and Elmslie design the new second floor. They modernized the appearance of the building redid much of the second floor brickwork moving windows and replacing them with larger modern style windows. Purcell and Elmslie specified the stucco exterior of the building to cover the various styles of brick that didn’t match that had been used in the various remodelings. In the 1920’s George Logan named it the Essex Building.
The second floor housed offices for a dentist and attorneys. Just prior to World War 2, the attorneys had moved out and Nelson and Lorraine Logan remodeled the back four offices into an apartment for themselves. Being the apartment wasn’t designed to rent and make money, they included large closets two half bathrooms, large kitchen and other features meant for comfort. Logan installed one of the early air conditioning systems in the early 1950’s. He also ran a private intercom line across the alley to the Roxy Theatre. Nelson and Lorraine had one child, Jeff who grew up in this apartment. Lorraine lived here on and off until she passed away in 2007. Jeff and Linda lived in the apartment when they were first married.
The first floor has housed many businesses including Larrison’s Drug Store, Den Beste Drug, Fashion City and Stevenson’s dress shops, the Pizza Pub, Dakota Sue’s Gift Shop, Ed’s Pet World, and most recently Abacco who processed medical billings and claims
Nelson Logan built an announce booth with large speakers on the roof of the building in the 1930’s. It was removed during the war years. The booth was used to announce to the large crowds on Main Street during Corn Palace Week what movies were playing at the Roxy, one block east of Main. Joe Martin was an usher and did his first announcing from this booth. He would go one to work for WNAX in Yankton and KOOO in Omaha. He was known as “Jolly Joe Martin” during his broadcast career. He had a bit part in the TV mini-series “Amerika.”
From the late 1930’s through the mid 1960’s, there was also a large neon sign with the word ROXY and an arrow pointing to the theatre on Lawler Street.
The basement of the building housed a barber shop from its construction until the late 1960’s. The barber shop included a shower for gentlemen who had traveled to town on railroad, horseback or in those newfangled automobiles on the dusty dirt roads.
Rev. April., 2015
Published in the March 21st, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
Coca Cola Bottling Plant 1939
Researcher Pam Range
In 1905 Andrew Ellwien, F.J. Prezler and James Brown bought the Schubert Bottling Company and renamed it Mitchell Bottling Works. Later the name was changed to Coca Cola Bottling Company. This building was constructed in 1936 at a cost of $26,000 and was located at the corner of Kimball and Hanson. The building made of brick, glass, tile and reinforced concrete was considered state of the art at the time. Air conditioning and summer cooling in the new structure it was considered the only bottling plant of its kind in the entire United States. The building was planned by Floyd F. Kings, Mitchell architect, and built by Peter Kuipers, contractor. The heating and plumbing were provided by the Gus Swanson company. In 2015 the building caught fire and was destroyed beyond repair. It was demolished in 2016. The company started construction on a new building in 2016 on Commerce Street near the Highway 37 bypass.
Published in the January 17th, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
Larry’s Floral Reflections owned by Larry Kleinlein located at 108 East 4th Ave held the grand opening in August 1991. He sold the business to Garden of Eden and closed the store on June 30, 1995. He has been in the floral business for 10 years, four of those years as owner. Kleinlein stayed in the floral business doing free lance floral design for large parties and banquets in Omaha, Nebraska.
Published in the January 3rd, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
Coast to Coast Store
John Wipf and his wife Clara started the Coast to Coast hardware franchise in Freeman and the business continued to expand. John and Clara's children – Beverly, Orville and Willis – became involved in the family operation. In 1961, Beverly married Harold A. Hofer and moved to Mitchell where they started the Coast to Coast store.
Harold and Beverly ran the successful Coast to Coast store on Mitchell’s Main Street until they retired in 1984.
Source
Mitchell Republic
Google A/I
Heritage Hall Archives
Published in the April 4th, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
Fred Wedehase Tire Shop
Fred Wedehase’s shop originally specialized in the repair and sale of harnesses, whips, and robes in 1918. The business was located at 114 North Main Street in Mitchell.
As automobiles became more common, the shop expanded into tire sales and repair. Advertisements promoted Michelin Universal tread core tires along with complete tire repair and rebuilding services, claiming rebuilt tires could travel an additional 3,500 miles.
The business also operated a vulcanizing plant equipped with what advertisements described as the most modern equipment in both Dakotas. The shop stocked both Goodyear and Michelin Universal tread core tires, promoting them as offering superior service and mileage. Customers could send in old casings to have new treads added, extending the life of their tires. Blowouts and tubes were also vulcanized to provide longer, trouble-free use.
Sources:
Mitchell Gazette
Mitchell Area Historical Society archives.
Published in the May 30th, 2026 Mitchell Republic.
Butterfields Dry Goods, Carpets and Notions.
After a long campaign in 1920, Hilda Morris was hired as the Davison County Health Nurse and worked under the supervision of the Board of Health. Her time was devoted to the health of the children in Davison County.
In 1921, the County Commissioners voted 3 to 2 to discontinue the county nurse position. They believed that mothers knew enough to detect health problems in their children. This decision brought much disagreement from the mayor and local professionals. Supporters of the position argued that a professional nurse could identify potential health problems such as bad teeth, poor vision, and the early stages of diseases that parents might not recognize. They also pointed out that half the cost of the position was paid through state and federal funds.
Miss L. Marx was hired as county nurse in 1934. With the assistance of many local dentists, her team conducted countywide examinations of 712 rural students by township. They found 325 children with dental problems, 87 with poor eyesight, and a few other less serious disorders.
In 1948, the county commission provided half the funding for a county health nurse, including an office, automobile, and salary, with the remaining funds supplied by the state and federal government. Her responsibilities were to visit and care for residents in rural areas and monitor the health of children throughout Davison County.
Although funds had been appropriated in 1949, no one was hired that year. Doris Hogeboom was hired in 1950 as county health nurse with the same responsibilities. However, the position did not include the Mitchell School District because the district already employed a school nurse. The county's cost for the position was $125 per month, with the balance paid through state and federal funds.
In 1963, Carol Hauser was appointed county nurse following the resignation of Doris Hogeboom. Hauser stated that half of her job was caring for children in the county, while the other half involved educating parents about what to watch for concerning their children's health.
Donna Bowen served as Davison County health nurse in 1977 and, like her predecessors, was responsible for safeguarding the health of county residents. During her tenure, there was an emphasis on polio vaccinations.
By 1998, influenza prevention had become a major part of the county health nurse's duties. Thousands of flu shots were administered through the county health nurse system. In Mitchell, nurse Joan Hiles emphasized the importance of influenza vaccinations for people over the age of 65. She is the nurse shown in the accompanying photograph.
Much to the surprise of health professionals, concerns about a possible terrorist threat of spreading smallpox led to additional preparedness training in 2003. Many health professionals came to Mitchell for this training.
The service remains very active today as Community Health in Mitchell and can be contacted through its website or by calling 605-995-8050.
Source:
Mitchell Republic
Published in the June 27th, 2026 Mitchell Republic.